Friday, November 4, 2011

Table for 1

Lately, I've been dining alone. It's not something that I have done a lot in my life, and I used to feel a lot more uncomfortable about it, but when you are alone in a new town, frankly, you just don't have a lot of choice. That is, unless you want to eat a lot of take out.

Anyway, I arrived really late in the evening on my first day in Santa Barbara. Considering my flight arrived in Phoenix at 7:30pm and my connecting flight was due to leave at 8:05pm in a completely different terminal, I had to run like a bat out of hell, barely made my flight, and didn't have time to stop for a bite to eat. (I was just glad I made my plane, although my luggage didn't until a day later.)

Looking on my yelp app, I looked for something that was open at 10:15pm on a Sunday evening. Elephant Bar was the first thing to pop up. I went there, only to see that they changed their hours and closed at 10. My search continued. I found another place and went on my way.

Instead of going there, Takenoya caught my eye since it had a flashing "Open" sign. Also, I had been eating a lot of heavy food, so I thought sushi would be a light meal that would be somewhat healthy.

I walked in and got seated quickly, since it was relatively empty. I ordered a Sprite, but they didn't have it. No worries there, I ordered a milk tea, which I realized I wanted after I ordered anyway.

I then looked at the menu and ordered a Red Dragon Roll: Tuna and avocado on top of a spicy tuna roll, and a Take Tower: Sushi rice, spicy tuna, avocado, crab meat and seared bay scallop with a special sauce.

This was an enormous portion. Even though I hadn't eaten all day, I couldn't finish it all. Well, especially since I realized I'm not a fan of the special sauce on the Take Tower. I spent a good portion of the time scrapping it off. ick! Mayo and sushi to me is like cream cheese and sushi. It's just not right.

Sadly, I have to admit that this meal didn't sit well with me. In fact, it woke me up at 2am and kept me up until about 3:45am. I won't go into detail, but let's just say I'm not going back there... EVER. Oddly, it didn't taste bad, but the combination just upset my digestive system.

This was quite unfortunate, since I had to start work the next day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let go of what is gone; be grateful for what remains; look forward to what is coming...

NOTE: Written on March 2, 2020: Pre knowing just how big Covid was... I decided not to rewrite it because it was a simpler time then.  Holy ...