Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Phung-fastic weekend!

My good friend Erica Phung came to see me this weekend. I've had visitors every weekend I've been in SB and mostly we would walk around State Street and eat. This time was a little different.

Instead of just looking at different restaurants to try and roaming downtown SB, Erica and I looked for activities that could be fun in between all those meals. Our first crack was a boot camp that began at 8:30am on a Saturday morning. Well, at least according to the local paper, the Independent. We were so excited that we woke up early enough to give this a try, only to get to the fitness center and find out that the class had been cancelled... boo!!!

Crab Cake Eggs Benedict
Not to be discouraged, we decided to go to Cajun Kitchen for breakfast. A co-worker of mine recommended this place, and yelp gave it good reviews, so I thought, let's try it! (It was also right around the corner from the Boot Camp that didn't happen.) I got the Crab Cake Eggs Benedict and some OJ. It was good, but not as good as Erica's Hot Link Sausage. That in itself was amazing! (No picture, sorry.) The hash browns were indeed, awesome, as the reviews said.
After breakfast, we decided that we needed to commit to our earlier agenda of getting in some fitness in our day, so we ended up at Yasa Yoga for their "YASA Yin and Yang" course:

Enjoy a 45 minute YASA style flow, balanced by 45 minutes of yin yoga. During the yin portion of the class, students will explore longer holds, fewer poses and work with subtle energy to balance their yang practice. The perfect addition to any day to leave you feeling balanced and blissful. Suitable for All Levels.

Yeah right! That class was taught in a warm studio (about 85F) and kicked my butt! Granted, I'm working towards getting healthier, but this class was hard! So hard, in fact that all I wanted to do afterwards was take a nap. BUT, I had company, so that wasn't going to happen.

Pumpkin strip
After we freshened up, we headed to State Street for some shopping and stopped at Andersen's Bakery for a very late lunch. We were starved after that class! (At least I was!) The food was good, and the pumpkin strip was to die for! This may not look all that interesting, but the description peaked my curiosity: "A pumpkin pie in a pastry".  This was DELICIOUS!!! It was so good, that Erica came back the next day to bring some home! (If you want to know what I think of the service, that's a whole other story...)

This meal hit the spot. Full of delicious food, we returned to my place to take a quick rest. I had read in the Independent that they had a "Latin/Swing/Ballroom" lesson on Saturday nights at the Santa Barbara Dance Center. I'm still new to the area and wanted to try out the place for their Tuesday Salsa classes and asked if Erica was interested in going. We found out it was Lindy Hop night and even though Erica is pretty much an expert at Lindy, she was up for anything.

Don't judge me, but in order for me to make it out that night, I had to take a nap. I'm an awful host, but it just had to happen. To my defense, it was only about 15 minutes.

The lesson turned out to be fun. I learned the basics of a Charleston and Lindy Hop and felt like a Mexican jumping bean with all the hopping that was involved. It ain't called Lindy HOP for nothin'!!

Erica left in the late morning on Sunday after we had breakfast and I took the rest of the day and night to recover. All I gotta say is, what a great weekend!


2 comments:

  1. holy crap, there is just way too much deliciousness in this post. you are KILLING me. KILLING! ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to tone it down. Miss you Eunster!

    ReplyDelete

Let go of what is gone; be grateful for what remains; look forward to what is coming...

NOTE: Written on March 2, 2020: Pre knowing just how big Covid was... I decided not to rewrite it because it was a simpler time then.  Holy ...