Skip to main content

Because of the routines we follow, we often forget that life is an ongoing adventure - Maya Angelou

I rejoined the "real world" almost 2 years ago. After adjusting to work and a new city, I finally found a comfortable "routine". Last year that consisted of reading for fun, rather than for school, and boy did I read! A lot
Mud Run 2013

This year started off with a workout frenzy. First the FireCracker 5K in February, then starting boot camp the day after (at 6am, no less, egads!) for 6 weeks, then the MudRun in June, all the while playing on my company softball team. (Go Silicone Sluggers! previously known as the Lap-Bandits!)

While I'm still (trying) to keep up with getting and staying in shape, lately, something has been nagging at me. Gnawing at my brain and leaking into my consciousness.
Scar from The Lion King

My creative side is no longer the dormant creature it once was. No longer suppressed by the need to get through grad school or figure out my life (well, the last part still lingers, but that's a whole other story...), it screams at me to DO SOMETHING.


I've been telling a few people (and mentioned it not that long ago), that I wanted to write. Not anything as ambitious as a novel, but more along the line of short stories. Maybe a children's book if possible, complete with illustrations. Nothing Earth shattering or revolutionary, but something fun. I'm not looking to get published; these stories are for me, and maybe if they are entertaining enough, I may share with a few friends. 

 Exhibit A: Crescent Bay Beach
I started sketching a little (more like looking at a picture and recreating it, hello Scar!), brainstorming story ideas, and even started dabbling in "photography".  I put that in quotations because I've only been taking scenic shots, which are pretty easy and with apps like instagram, lots of things look good even with a camera phone. (See exhibit A!) 

I also have an art easel in my closet, with paints that have yet to be open and a few canvases ready to be splashed. Right now, possibilities are endless. We'll see what where this summer's adventure will take me... We'll see! 



Comments

  1. Can't wait to see/read what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks F! I'll definitely share with you when one of the stories is done! =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." - Seneca

Another year has just flown by. It's true what they say, the older you get the fast time flies. What up with that?!

And what a year 2016 was.

Most of you who are around my age understand the real impact of all the celebrities that were lost because they were who we grew up with, who helped mark important childhood milestones. Also, the election... I'm not going to elaborate on that just because I just don't have the energy.

So on to more positive things.

I became an aunt! One of my best friend's Nina, and my cousin had baby boys and they are both as cute as can be! I still remember meeting Nina over 20 years ago in our freshman year of college and when my cousin was in diapers!


Last year was filled with several domestic vacations. Tahoe for snowboarding, San Francisco, Boston, Manhattan, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Santa Barbara... I was all over the country this year and I got to catch up with a lot of people that I haven't seen in quite some time. I'm gr…

Things that go BEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the night and make you say "WTH!?!?!?!?!?!" in the day

So, yeah... it's been an interesting week... actually one day in particular.

I know I've neglected this blog for a while. It's mainly because I couldn't think of any topics that were interesting enough to write about, but I definitely found one.

So, in general, this week has been crazy. I got a ridiculous request for a TPS report (because the actual content is not worth mentioning) that was a massive fire drill with a 24 hour turnaround time that I had to organize with minimal information. Equal parts frustration and confusion. All manual and in excel, and of course it involved gathering last second information from around 20 people.

That's not the "why" of this last Tuesday, October 18th was interesting... let me just count the ways.

It's about 4AM. I hear a random alarm go off. Groggily, I wonder, "what the heck is that?!" After all, I already disabled BOTH my smoke detector and my CO sensor because I need new batteries...

I get out of be…

"Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of." - Geri Weitzman

So I've neglected this blog for a while. My bad!

I kinda feel like I don't want to post something unless there is something behind it. But then I realized something... that's too much pressure!

I have 4 drafts that I never finished that are just sitting there. Maybe I will post a few of those this year, maybe not. I guess we'll see.

In the meantime, this will be my "year in review" post, even though it's a bit late. (oops!)

So 2015... yeah... as far as work goes, it is another one of those epic years of change. This year will not be any different but it's too early to digress on that topic.

As far as personal growth, it was another big one. I decided to really focus on my creative side. THAT blog got lots of love last year. I embarked on a year long #HumpDayHaiku journey that I'm proud to say I completed. And even though the writing of the haikus didn't improve my writing ability (though I'm beyond an expert of counting syllables on my fi…