Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Couch-to-5K" plan

I started jogging while I was in CA and then fun (and laziness) got in the way so I didn't do it consistently enough to develop a routine. After getting back to Boston, the weather was way too hot. After getting used to weather that rarely got over 75F or below 65F, the humidity and the heat were just too much. Over 100F, as my MBA Council President, Ajay, would say, "C'mon SON!"

Now that the weather has cooled down and I realize that leaving Boston isn't in my near future, I've decided to get serious about training for that 10K/ Half and future triathlon.

Almost every exercise routine always has the mandatory, "consult your doctor" disclaimer. I'm feeling alright, but one thing I DID do is consult my two Iron(wo)man friends who are and always will be my inspiration: Treven and Lisa! Being pretty much professional athletes, I asked them their advice on how I should start my training.

Paraphrased words from the wise: (disclaimer, my friends are NOT coaches, so if you want to take their advice, please be warned of that!)

Find a plan and stick to it!

Plan Suggestions:The Galloway Method or The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

Other tips:
* Take it slow, alternate running and walking
* Be disciplined - think of training as not optional, with only exception being an injury.  Don't make excuses. Feeling tired or moody, work, studying are not good reasons to not to continue to train.
* Don't increase your training by more than 10% each week
* Don't undersell yourself / focus on setting goals and getting there
- 1.5 miles is a good start.  everyone has to start somewhere.  It's like everything else in life - it takes practice, dedication, and hard work. 


* No matter the distance, drink 24 grams of protein within the first 30 minutes of finishing your run, it help rebuild the torn and worked muscles while you sleep. 
* Stretch every time after you run and before you sleep, this will help prevent injury...make sure to really stretch and roll your IT band area...its a common problem with women runners so it you pay attention to it now you'll have no problems later.  
* Try to incorporate Pilates, preferably Yoga in your weekly training regime and a different sport to give your running muscles a break.


I'm a lucky gal to have such great resources. I'll need to research their advice a little more before I decide which routine I'll use, but I'm leaning towards the Couch to 5K regiment because I am THAT out of shape.

As Sally Field says in her commercial, "We only have one life..." so might as well be as healthy as I can to enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend who did the couch to 5K training for her first 5K, she did really well with it.

    I did a variation on the Galloway to train for my first half marathon and it worked really well considering that I couldn't run more than 2 miles when I started.

    ReplyDelete

Let go of what is gone; be grateful for what remains; look forward to what is coming...

NOTE: Written on March 2, 2020: Pre knowing just how big Covid was... I decided not to rewrite it because it was a simpler time then.  Holy ...