Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon

At long last, after many great suggestions and a lot of thought, I have compiled my list. (About time, I know!)

This will be a "living document" and while it will not shorten, it might get longer. I have divided it into Benner's Level of Experience which technically deals with nursing, but the categories seem to fit quite well for me.

NOVICE
Most of these require training of some sort, and some require me simply taking action
  1. Learning how to drive stick
  2. Surfing lessons (photo from http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com)
  3. Flying lessons
  4. Take a martial art (tbd)
  5. Learning how to apply make up well (this one is for my mom who says I'm not girly enough)
  6. Trapeze lessons
  7. Golf lessons (there was a rumor that said a lot of business decisions happen on the golf course; can't miss out on that!)
  8. Skiing (both water and snow)
  9. Drawing lessons
  10. Take a hot air balloon ride (picture from google search)
  11. Swim with dolphins
  12. Go to a Conan O'Brien taping
  13. African Safari
ADVANCED BEGINNER
So for the most part, I've done some of this before and want to improve...

14. Photography classes
15. Piano lessons (I took piano for 2 years when I was a kid, I kind of miss it!)
16. Dance lessons: Zumba/ Hip Hop/ Ballroom/ Swing/ Belly Dancing; the more the better!
17. Sailing lesson (I'm a good crew member, but help us all if I have to steer!)
18. Cliff Diving (first need to find a suitable cliff)
19. Rock climbing

COMPETENT
I'm hoping that at this stage I'll pick up things a little faster after attempting some of this stuff before...

20. Become fluent in Vietnamese (nói và viết tiếng Việt tốt)
21. Become fluent in Español (hablar y escribir muy bien tambien!)
22. Volunteering at an animal shelter (picture by Meredith Childs)
23. Unassisted pull-up (see #19 for how I hope to achieve this!!)
24. Tan legs - my legs are almost always ghostly white. But I think I can tackle this one during the summer this year. =)


PROFICIENT
A lot of this will just take practice or some good old fashioned planning...

25. Become a good salsa dancer, to the point where I can take advanced lessons, style, and look graceful! Eat your heart out Dancing with the Stars (although I'm not even sure they do salsa as much as cha cha)
26. Visit the remaining "7 natural wonders of the world" - I've been lucky enough to see the Grand Canyon and the Great Barrier Reef, but still have 5 more left!
27. Drive across the US. I've been to the corners, the middle, and the south, but have left out quite a bit in between
28. Run a 10K, then a half marathon
29. Become a decent cook. This will be a long road, but hopefully I can manage with some good recipes and constructive (but not too harsh) feedback!
30. Write and illustrate a children's book. Don't need to have it published, it can be for a niece or nephew. =) Besides, after taking all those drawing lessons (see #9), might as well have something to show for it!

EXPERT

31. Travel enough to fill a passport - Looking at all the different "7 wonders" lists is making me want to travel more... a lot more!
32. Accomplish a Super Sprint Triathlon. All my Iron(WO)man friends have been really inspiring, but I'm setting my sights on something that is a challenge for me. Considering I've had my bike for about 5 years and have ridden it about 5 times...
33. Last but not least, live on another continent

And there you have it...

1 comment:

  1. A few of the suggestions that I received are:
    Visiting National Parks, learning how to ride a motorcycle, taking a cruise, and participating in a flash mob. (If you were wondering.)

    ReplyDelete

Let go of what is gone; be grateful for what remains; look forward to what is coming...

NOTE: Written on March 2, 2020: Pre knowing just how big Covid was... I decided not to rewrite it because it was a simpler time then.  Holy ...