Sunday, October 19, 2014

"The only way to make sense of change is to plunge into it, move with it and join the dance." - Alan W. Watts

So... yeah, change is a coming.

I am moving to the OC.

Egads!

I haven't "officially" lived there in 20 years! Two decades! Four lustra! You get the idea.

I recently took a personality assessment that says that I don't like change. I think there is a little bit of truth in there, but I feel like the nostalgia that brings about the reluctance.

I'll be honest, San Diego is the only place I've never complained about. I was even grateful to be unemployed there because I got rock star parking every time I went to the beach during work hours. And the museums were free to residents, so I took advantage of that too.

When I first moved to California, I mocked the weather ("What? No snow on Christmas?!" Give me a break, I was 10!); then when I moved to Boston for grad school, it wasn't the weather I complained about (I already had an idea of what I was getting into), I missed my friends and Mexican food. Not Tex-Mex, but California burritos stuffed with french fries (not sprouts!) and street tacos (cabeza, lengua? yes please!). When I got to Santa Barbara, I was totally surprised because I thought it would be like San Diego, OC, and LA. It's not. It's a quaint city of 90,000 and since Isla Vista isn't counted as a part of the census, it's diversity is pretty much non-existent.

The only place I have never been nostalgic for is the OC. The reasons for missing San Diego are too numerous to list. Boston? Boy, am I missing that excellent clam chowder and lobsta rolls! And the seasons? Fall is unbeatable. Unlike CA, if you drive for an hour, you can be in another state. After just one hour! I miss my friends there too of course. :)

Santa Barbara? It's like we're on an island of sorts. It takes about an hour just to reach a Target! Ok, not anymore, they have one in Oxnard now, so only 40 minutes, but it's still true to reach a decent Asian market that doesn't pillage your wallet!

Ok, so what am I going to be nostalgic for when I leave SB?

The same thing that most people mentioned when I told them... American Ale burgers. Some of the first words I heard were, "Oh no! That means I won't get anymore burgers!" Thanks guys...

The beach. Yeah, I know, So Cal has beaches a plenty. But here, even on the 4th of July and Labor Day, you can easily find a space on the beach. Parking may be a problem for some, but not for this gal who lives 1.5 miles away and usually just walks it.

The views. It's just darn pretty here.

Honestly, one of the biggest things I will miss here are all the great people I worked with. It took some time to get to know them, but it's always hard to leave good people. Especially when you have developed a really great working relationship and finally got things working somewhat smoothly.

The combination of it all is making nostalgic juices flow through my veins.

People ask if I'm excited about moving. I am. I have plans. Like piano classes, and salsa lessons,maybe even an art class or two. I even have a few friends in the area. (Family too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let go of what is gone; be grateful for what remains; look forward to what is coming...

NOTE: Written on March 2, 2020: Pre knowing just how big Covid was... I decided not to rewrite it because it was a simpler time then.  Holy ...