Thursday, August 28, 2014

“I guess I can go anywhere I want. If only I knew where to go.” ― Layne Staley

I'm in a time of my life where I face a lot of uncertainty. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.

I found out a little over a month ago that my company is closing my site, and that my position as it stands now has been eliminated. Along with 1499 other positions, world wide.

In "regular" circumstances, that would just mean that I update my resume and start applying for jobs around the area. However, here, in Santa Barbara, that's just not going to happen. Industry doesn't exist out here. Sure, there are a few (um, about 3...) companies that are in the medical device industry, but realistically, ... ya... No. And you can forget about biotech and pharma!

They say that some people will be offered transition packages to our corporate HQ in the OC. Some people have already been receiving those offers. Some accept them quite happily, while others seem to want to say, "thanks for the offer, but SUCK IT!"

I haven't been offered anything (yet?) and that's ok. What I have received is a tremendous amount of support from my family, friends, and colleagues and for that, I'm SO grateful! It's part of why this transition is hard.

Even though I've griped about living here, I've learned to embrace it for all it is (see pictures), and isn't. And I've also made a few friends along the way, which always helps.

I'm not in a bad position, truth be told; I'm not married, I have no kids, I don't have a mortgage. I don't even have a car payment. I have nothing that binds me to this area, which basically means that possibilities are endless. (#FirstWorldProblems #WahWahWah)

As exciting as it can be, it's also a bit worrisome. I kind of fell into my position, and I love it. I love my boss, my team, the work. It's not something that can be easily found elsewhere, which, in my little world, really does suck.

I'm not one of those people who live to work and I've only had a few jobs in which I enjoy what I do and who I work with. Every single one of those, I just fell into. How lucky am I, huh?

I hope my streak continues...

And since I can't live off of hopes, dreams and wanderlust, I'll keep my head up and keep an ear to the ground for that next adventure.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let go of what is gone; be grateful for what remains; look forward to what is coming...

NOTE: Written on March 2, 2020: Pre knowing just how big Covid was... I decided not to rewrite it because it was a simpler time then.  Holy ...