Tuesday, August 22, 2017

By my rambling digressions I perceive myself to be growing old - Benjamin Franklin

I don't know about you, but as I've gotten older, time just whizzes on by. How can it already be close to the end of summer?!

I remember what it was like to be young. When problems consisted of wanting to have my favorite toy, and a bit later on, having sleepovers with friends, keeping up with some of the latest fashion trends, wondering if that boy I liked would ever notice me,  thinking of other opportunities to add to my college applications, and of course, waiting anxiously to turn a year older...

Now-a-days, I'm old enough to see styles that were big when I was young come back into style. The high-waisted jeans (ick), the crop tops... These days, instead of flocking to the "new" trends and trying them on, often times I pick up a hanger, inspect the item, and think, "What IS this?!" I move the article of clothing around, trying to picture in my head, how it would actually fit on a human form, often times without success.

I look in the mirror, and see subtle changes in my face. Though my complexion is better, I see age lines that weren't there not that long ago. I see silver strands in my hair and am waiting for that tipping point when I will start to dye it so that I can continue to pretend that I'm not as old as I am.

Though, just last week, I was carded, so maybe I can keep pretending a little longer. (Phew!)

By now, I'm sure some of you have seen this:
Source: http://9gag.com
I'm almost in the middle of this! Agghhh! (Without the kiddos though.)

I'm closing in on one of those "milestone" birthdays and when I think about it, it's surreal. My life may not be where I thought it would be by this time, but I really can't complain. After all, I've got great relationships with friends and family and I live about 3 miles away from the beach in my favorite city!

My birthday in 2016 (La Jolla, CA)


2 comments:

  1. Kim - age is a number, it's a choice root our identity in it. I'd love to take credit for that statement, but one of my favorite Minnesotans said it: Prince.

    I, too, and feeling the same and, yes, seeing the same. I cannot believe the fashions that were cast away coming back and the subtle cues of age coming into my life.

    You should write more. I like reading what you have to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali!

      While I definitely don't "mentally" feel my age, I'm doing all I can to ensure that I can prolong "physically" feeling my age. :)

      Hope to see you soon!

      Delete

Let go of what is gone; be grateful for what remains; look forward to what is coming...

NOTE: Written on March 2, 2020: Pre knowing just how big Covid was... I decided not to rewrite it because it was a simpler time then.  Holy ...