Monday, February 6, 2017

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." - Seneca






Another year has just flown by. It's true what they say, the older you get the fast time flies. What up with that?!

And what a year 2016 was.

Most of you who are around my age understand the real impact of all the celebrities that were lost because they were who we grew up with, who helped mark important childhood milestones. Also, the election... I'm not going to elaborate on that just because I just don't have the energy.

So on to more positive things.

I became an aunt! One of my best friend's Nina, and my cousin had baby boys and they are both as cute as can be! I still remember meeting Nina over 20 years ago in our freshman year of college and when my cousin was in diapers!


Last year was filled with several domestic vacations. Tahoe for snowboarding, San Francisco, Boston, Manhattan, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Santa Barbara... I was all over the country this year and I got to catch up with a lot of people that I haven't seen in quite some time. I'm grateful that the friendships remain strong, even if we are no longer living in the same area.

Manhattan
I ran my first 10K and was able to run the whole way through, so yay! for crossing one thing off my bucket list! It doesn't matter that I am around the middle of the pack, and that this year, I'll have to click a different box for age (egads!), this is the longest distance I've ever run and am happy about that.

I haven't been snowboarding in several years. Basically since 2009 and it was the first time I went to Tahoe. What a beautiful place! Before this year, I had only been snowboarding is Mammoth, so it was exciting to try another location, even though I'm super rusty!
Tahoe


I went to a conference and visited Philadelphia for the first time. There was an amazing Malaysian place there that was so good, that we went there twice in 2 days! We tried a few Philly cheesesteaks too, and enjoyed roaming around the city. My friend and I walked over 10 miles in the first day while we waited to check into our hotel. My fitbit counted over 30K steps!

I got to spend the 4th of July weekend in Manhattan. It was rainy but I got to try Shake Shack for the first time. Although it was good, I can't say I remember anything more than it being an expensive tasty burger. I still have to say that American Ale in Santa Barbara is still my favorite burger place. Speaking of which, I went back in October and it was as good as I remember... (tear...).

I took about 3 weeks off of work in December and went to Boston and Seattle. I'm glad that I used to live in cold because I layered and was totally prepared. They are such lovely cities and I'm glad that I got to visit some family and really good friends. So far I've been able to make an annual trip to Boston and I hope that I can keep doing that!

City of Brotherly Love
One of the nice things about being done with school is that I can read for leisure. A few friends and I have a "lazy book club" where we read 3 to 4 books a year and video chat to catch up and talk about the book.

Here's my short list of books for 2016:
  1. All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
  2. Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
  3. Battle Royale - Koushun Takami
  4. In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
  5. Hogwarts Houses Divided - Inverarity
  6. The Girl with all the Gifts - M. R. Carey
  7. The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
I read City of Thieves again, which was on my list in 2012, I think. I forgot what the book was about but remembered pretty quickly. David Benioff is the author and when I saw that he was involved with Game of Thrones, I knew that they would make an amazing show. I have seen each season 4 times... at least. I know, crazy. But it's amazing what you notice when you watch it again. I always see something that I didn't see before.

2017 will be a good year. I am going to be moving to San Diego relatively soon. Not soon enough but hopefully within a month or so!! I left in July 2009 and it's taken almost 8 full years to get back. But it will be good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let go of what is gone; be grateful for what remains; look forward to what is coming...

NOTE: Written on March 2, 2020: Pre knowing just how big Covid was... I decided not to rewrite it because it was a simpler time then.  Holy ...